I had planned to write this post before I left for Houston, but it turned out to be a busier week than I thought it would be. So now I’m writing it on a Saturday morning at the breakfast table with a mug of chai latte dispensed from a K-cup. A cold front came in last night and it’s mild, but it’s very welcome because it’s definitely starting to feel like the holiday season now.
Since I’ll be here for about nine days I wanted to make a list of all the things I hope to get done this break, so that I’m productive. And since I’m blogger I’m posting this list here on my blog! (I have other less important goals not listed on this post, but which you may see me talk about next week!)
➴ Win NaNoWriMo 2016
This is priority numero uno. I am at 14,554 words and today’s graph shows that I should be at 31,667 words. So I have a lot of catching up to do in addition to getting ahead on where I want to be with my story. Since I do not want to be a hermit this week, I’m just going to have to allocate bursts of time where I can sit down and write. But since I’m losing motivation, I’m also prioritizing reading that inspires ideas for my own writing.
➴ Write research proposal outline
This assignment is due Wednesday, November 13, meaning it is inflexible; I have to do this. But it should set me up to do the final proposal well so I want to spend time carefully preparing the outline. The hardest thing about it will be organizing my literature review because I have to summarize and explain how upwards of 15 articles have contributed to the formulation of the research study I am to propose.
➴ Write film studies research paper
Of the three papers I will need to turn in during December, this is the only paper I figure I should be able to write a full draft of while on vacation because I will have all the works I will want to cite, one book and the rest digital, with me. This is also the paper I’m most nervous about because of the instructor who will be grading it, who is one tough cookie.
➴ Rewrite first two film studies papers
This I have decided to do very reluctantly. I completely blew off the first two papers I wrote for film studies and it showed in their grades. Since she gave me feedback on how to revise them I figure I may be able to do this relatively quickly and without too much pain. It’s just a matter of committing.
➴ Read, Read, READ!
There are so many books I would like to read over Thanksgiving Break but I know I will only have time for a few. So I’ve had to be very pragmatic about what I need to read, which primarily consists of library books which I will not be able to have over winter break. But there are some other books which I have started and want to finish to wipe my slate clean for new books.
- Killing Adonis by J.M. Donellan. I started reading this eBook on my iPhone last weekend and was able to read a bit more yesterday while I waited for my brother to get ready. I still don’t know what’s going to happen or what kind of story it’ll turn out to be, but it’s still holding my interest so I’ll probably marathon it soon and tick one more book off my TBR.
- Stars by Richard Dyer. This book I will be using in my research paper that I speak about above. It is short enough that I should be able to finish it in its entirety, which is why I want to read it and be able to count it towards my Goodreads TBR.
- The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro. After the high I felt after returning to and finishing Illuminae, I want to return to the other book I did not finish this spring which I was really liking but just didn’t feel the urge to continue at the time.
- The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen. I’ve already begun rereading this book earlier this week because I was facing a little writing crisis and needed inspiration. So I hope to finish it soon so I can also read its sequel The Invasion of the Tearling this week, as I do not want to bring them back to Dallas with me because I will only be there two more weeks after the next.
- Doctor Faustus by Thomas Mann. Almost forgot this one! I need to try and finish it before my last German lit. class after the break. Hoping it’s not too much of a bore once I get further into it. I could probably get away with not finishing it, but I’ve already started it and it bothers me to quit things I start.